Friday, March 18, 2011

DOCUMENTARY: Living After Rape

 
LIVING AFTER RAPE DOCUMENTARY
15 March 2011

So here is what I know right now:

People who have lived through rape, people who love people who have lived through rape, and people who rape - are all people.  This probably seems obvious and could easily inspire an overt “Duh,” except that somehow people don’t seem to know this. We come in all shapes and sizes.  We come in a multitude of genders and ethnicities.  We populate a vast cross section of economic and professional spheres.  We come from and create a variety of different family types.  We have a vast range of both talents and disabilities.  We are generally hyper-vigilant and sensitive to a variety of changing stimuli. Huge numbers of Humans all over the world know and live rape and its’ aftermath.  AND EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US HAS A STORY.

This project is an endeavor to tell the stories, while crafting a particular story to put into the public arena.  Narrowing the scope of this documentary’s story is what has occupied me for this period of time. 

I feel apologetic about not immediately responding to the numerous heart-felt responses I have received.  I engage in this ‘writing-back’, a bit each day.  Each and every person who has reached across to support this project has my utmost respect and appreciation.   And all of you will hear from me, as I am able.  If you have not heard from me, please do send me another note, as I do not want to lose anyone.

The email for this documentary is:  livingafterrape@gmail.com

As I have sat with the letters I’ve received during these many weeks several things have become clear. 
  • 1.   My hope is to make a series of these films, this first one delineated by particular demographic factors, the ones to follow drawing on others.
  • 2.   There is an extraordinary pool of talented, enthusiastic, creative and skillful people who are passionate about both filmmaking in general and the crafting of the documentary: ‘Living After Rape’ specifically.   Following the general principle of  ‘too many cooks can spoil the goose,’ I’ve decided to seek: 

·      1 Documentary Filmmaker to film
·      1 experienced Lighting Technician
·      1 Audio Technician
·      1 Musical Director to score
·      1 person to assist in general overall production 
·      1 person with extensive writing/fund-raising experience and connections (PR manager) 
           
               In respect to the sensitive subject matter, the core creative ensemble will remain small, work hard to create a tight supportive crew, and receive direction from the Artistic Director (me) Andrea Bredbeck. We will, of course, need additional assistance and support in a variety of skill areas which will become more clear as we progress.

ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS PRODUCTION EFFORT, PLEASE CONTACT/RE-CONTACT ME AND WE WILL ARRANGE FOR A TIME TO MEET, SKYPE AND/OR TALK BY PHONE.  FOLLOWING THIS YOU WILL BE ASKED TO SUBMIT A SAMPLE OR PORTFOLIO OF YOUR WORK.

Having narrowed the scope of this project, I have come to the following conclusions (PENDING FUTURE CHANGES):

·      The documentary ‘Living After Rape’ intends to interview people whose first incident of rape happened when they were 16 or older, people who love a person whose first incident of rape happened when that person was 16 or older and people who have raped when they were 16 or older.

·      Additionally, I am specifically seeking interviewees who have lived through approximately ten years following the initial incident.

ANYONE WHO HAS LIVED A STORY THAT FITS THESE PARAMETERS, PLEASE CONTACT/RE-CONTACT ME AND WE WILL SET UP A TIME TO TALK.  WE CAN HAVE THE INITIAL CONVERSATION EITHER BY PHONE OR SKYPE.

I am acutely aware that there are many people with rape-related stories who do not fit into these initial, specific parameters.  All of these stories matter.  I have chosen to narrow the scope for this FIRST film in deference to the specific story I want to explore.  I dearly hope to be able to continue to craft for film the many experiences that fall within other timelines.  Because of this, if you are willing, I’d like to interview you and safely archive our dialogue as part of a growing collection of material for potential future films.

No comments:

Post a Comment